|DESCRIPTION ||POSITION SUMMARY: BASIC FUNCTION |
Supervise the in-house electrical design engineering staff, manage outsourced electrical design functions. This staff (in-house and contracted) designs the electrical portion of new data center projects; provides engineering support to the material procurement effort, provides technical support during construction; participates in commissioning of new data center phases; and supports critical facilities operations with system re-design where appropriate, incident management resources, system operating policies, maintenance programs, and equipment troubleshooting.
The Director - Electrical Engineering is a key member of the Critical Facilities Engineering team and a significant contributor to the Design/Build/Operate effort. This person will collaborate closely with the Chief Engineer, supervise the Electrical design team and work directly with the other discipline professionals and technical support individuals. Integral with this design role will be direct technical support for Construction, Commissioning and Critical Facility Operations.
The ideal candidate will be a creative problem solver with excellent communication skills and attention to detail while maintaining high quality standards with careful consideration of cost and feasibility factors. This person should possess engineering judgment to meet project requirements and objectives and be able to work well with a diverse interdisciplinary team focused on creating and maintain the best Data Center environments possible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Group leadership/supervision role for design of electrical systems on multiple (possibly simultaneous) projects, including necessary calculations, drawings and specifications. Includes Conceptual Design, Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Document efforts with the support of technical staff
- Supervise and provide Construction Administration services for ongoing construction projects
- Supervise and provide as-built drawings and other documentation for substantially complete projects
- Provide direct technical support to Critical Facilities Operations team including incident recovery assistance
- Coordinate and collaborate with other discipline professionals and project individuals
- Prepare project specific design work plans, schedules and budgets for CF Engineering (Electrical) resources.
- Attend and lead project team meetings
- Supervise and conduct code analysis reviews
- Supervise and conduct QA/QC reviews
- Keep electrical design and other project support on schedule and within budget
- Supervise and participate in commissioning activities for projects being placed in service
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Skill to supervise and train a group of other engineers and technical professionals
- In depth knowledge of critical data center electrical equipment and design
- Thorough knowledge of National Electrical Code requirements and knowledge of related building codes and regulations including California Title 24, Life Safety, IBC, NFPA and OSHA.
- Ability to develop creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality and reliability
- Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities, with skill to incorporate best ideas into designs
- Ability to develop and take new design concepts through detailed design, peer review, executive review, construction and operation
- Familiar with life cycle cost analyses. Ability to develop Total Cost of Ownership reports for procurement analysis, personnel and project budgeting processes
- In depth knowledge of electrical system components and design: electrical substations, UPS, switchgear, generators, transformers, power distribution equipment, protective relaying, fire alarm, intrusion alarm/security, electrical system controls, transfer switches, and lighting
- General understanding of Mechanical, Civil, Structural and Architectural design
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal and management skills
- Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint, Outlook, drafting software (ACAD and/or Revit), engineering software: Short Circuit/Coordination/Arc Flash (Power Tools, Etap, and/or others), load flow analysis, underground and overhead cable heating calculations, power utilization efficiency calculations
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (or Professional Engineer registration and ten years relevant data center experience)
- Professional Engineering license (with ability to get registered in multiple states)
- Minimum 10 years of experience with industrial and commercial electrical design (preference to data center or other specialized experience in Critical Facilities or other technically sophisticated project types)
- Experience directly related to data center design
- Direct experience with the construction, operation, or maintenance of data centers
- Experience with large scale technical operations
- Experience with vendor negotiation and management
- Experience with design/build projects
- Prior experience leading engineering project teams
- Experience with Revit and/or other BIM applications.
- Experience with other 3 dimensional modeling and graphic applications
- Primarily sitting with some walking, standing, and bending.
- Able to hear and speak into a telephone.
- Close visual work on a computer terminal.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate any required computer keyboard, mouse, and other technical instruments.
- Able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
Office environment with extensive daily usage of a computer; field work in electrical and mechanical infrastructure rooms, data floor spaces, roof mounted equipment
- Travel required (normally not more than 25%)
- No telecommuting; must work on-site
- Must possess a current, valid state issued driver’s license